Sorrel... all I want is Sorrel

I've been pretty excited since I discovered the lovely Sorrel.  I think I had heard of it but I certainly had never tasted it before.  We went to visit some friends over Easter at Kyneton, I know Easter how long ago does it feel?  Our Bee Project Melbourne City Rooftop Honey has been flat out, but I still manage to find the time to detach from all the craziness around me to find peace in the garden, hands in the dirt... good for the soul.

Anyways if you have ever tasted Sorrel, to me it tastes just like Spinach leaves which have have Lemon juice poured on to it. I love anything lemon so I instantly fell in love with it.  Sorrel, is a perennial herb that is cultivated as a garden herb or leaf vegetable.  Sorrel has been cultivated for centuries. The leaves may be puréed in soups and sauces or added to salads; Some say they have a flavour that is similar to kiwifruit or sour wild strawberries but I think lemon.  The Greeks use it in Spanakopita - perfect with Spinach.  So I took a bit of the roots and planted it quickly in the patch - one month later it is still alive.  I hope it lasts the winter!

 Sorrel - this is the plant I took some roots from to see how it takes

Just over the fence next door I have been admiring a lovely Olive Tree in fruit. I know the owners are not gardeners so I knocked on the door and asked if I could do something with them in return sharing them.  Here is the recipe I used from the latest Diggers Club issue.

Olives in Green Brine
- 100gm of sea salt per litre of water
- 1 clove of garlic
- a slice of lemon

Place green olives in a jar, ass the garlic and top with a slice of lemon.  Bring the water/salt mix to boiling point.  Pour over the olives and ensure you have completely comvered them.  Seal and allow to stand.  Leave for 6 months before opening. (When you do open the jar, the brine will froth - this is normal).

  Green Olives in Brine - We'll see how they go, I hope they are yummy.

In the patch I have planted out a whole heap of Broad Beans, Peas, Garlic, Beets, Shallots, Leeks and salad leaves.  To my amazment my Golden Zucchini is still throwing out little babies which are just so tasty.  I can't believe it is still alive, thankfully it is protected from most of the frost but I just can't pull it out when it is being so fruitful.   

 Baby Golden Zucchini still fruiting


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers